Our Latest Newsletter
Dear Praying Friends,
Christie is absorbed in school work these days, so it's Paul writing this news-brief ? mostly to recruit your prayer support over the upcoming four weeks of intense travel and ministry.
FIVE MINISTRY OPPORTUNITIES
Many times we look at our schedule and realize that God is giving us opportunities to influence and equip leaders that are "beyond anything we could ask or think." The next four weeks illustrate this. In addition to our ongoing network of Development Associates International partners and the 30+ students at Gordon College that we're privileged to challenge and teach, please pray with us through the following opportunities for strategic influence for the Kingdom of Christ:
FANTASTIC 4 PRAYER REQUESTS
- October 26: facilitating the "ARROW" Leadership (www.arrowleadership.org) training at a seminar in southern California. More than twenty younger leaders ? all from very diverse backgrounds ? will wrestle together with what it means to be a globally-minded Christian leader.
- October 31-November 4: teaching again at Lanka Bible College on "Developing Leaders for Youth Ministry." Pray for wisdom in training leaders whose land is ravaged by political tension, religious oppression, and post-tsunami recovery.
- November 9: speaking in Fort Myers, FL on "Spiritual Health for Christian Leaders" to more than 200 leaders whose ministry focuses on ecological development in relief of hunger (ECHO ? www.echonet.org). Please pray that I can encourage these uniquely gifted and called leaders.
- November 11-13: speaking at the Global Outreach emphasis of Fairhaven Church (www.fairhavenchurch.org) in Dayton, OH. Pray that I can "fuel the flame" for evangelism in this outwardly-oriented church.
- November 15-22: joining together with DAI associates James Das (India), Reuben Ezemadu (Nigeria), and Cindy Perry (Nepal/Himalayas) at a conference for young people in Guwahati, NE India. Paul will be one of several plenary speakers at a conference on missions for young people coming from across northeast India. Please pray that many young people will sense God's direction to go out to those who have never had an opportunity to respond to Jesus Christ.
One of the questionable "benefits" of frequent travel is that we get to see a lot of movies ? many of which are pretty bad. "The Fantastic 4" was one of those movies, but God redeemed the movie by giving us four serious prayer requests based on the 4 characters.
Please pray for "Elasticity." The main character, "Mr. Fantastic", is incredibly elastic, able to stretch and mold to any situation. Please pray for us during these travels that we'll remain FLEXIBLE ? especially as many of the circumstances will face us with "out-of-control" opportunities to trust God.
Please pray for "Invisibility." A second character in the 4-some has the ability to become invisible. Please pray for spiritual invisibility ? the spirit of HUMILITY so that people see Jesus. We want to say like John the Baptist, "Jesus must increase and we must decrease."
Please pray for "Fire." The third character, "The Human Torch", is able to ignite into flames. His character reminds us to request prayer for passion for Jesus that fuels all that we do. Especially as the month goes on and tiredness inevitably increases, please pray that we will live by the promise, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Please pray for lives built on "The Rock." The final character, "The Thing", is basically a walking rock. His character reminds us to request prayer that we will be "steadfast, immoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord ? knowing that our labor in the Lord is not in vain."
ONE LAST REQUEST: we seldom make much mention of our financial support, but we do want you to know that the combination of regular, monthly givers with one-time gifts has always helped us make budget (in order to pay for things like the Sri Lanka and India ministries listed earlier) ? for which we always thank God.
If you are an "end-of-year" giver ? or you'd like to make an extra gift to support our work ? we would truly appreciate your generosity as 2005 draws to a close. Support information is below. Thank you.
AND THANKS FOR YOUR PRAYERS; by praying, you truly help us accomplish the challenges God puts before us (II Corinthians 1:10-11).
Paul & Christie Borthwick
GIFTS & SUPPORT: tax-deductible gifts can be made payable to "Development Associates International" and designated "Borthwick Support" and sent to:
Development Associates International
Colorado Springs, CO 80949